The Pagoda Bridge (Cau Chua) area, a tourist attraction in Hoi An, is left deserted, August 2020. Photo by VnExpress/Dac Thanh.
Four hundred foreign visitors wishing to leave ancient town Hoi An amid the country’s new Covid-19 wave will undergo free coronavirus screening.
Hoi An’s Information and Culture Office said Wednesday there are 400 foreign tourists stranded in Hoi An due to quarantine regulations and lockdowns.
The tourists “wish to leave for a safer place” as the central town has recorded 30 Covid-19 cases since July 25 when the first domestic infection was recorded in the country in over three months. Many areas across Hoi An are now locked down, with all tourism activities suspended.
All foreign tourists are required to show papers to prove that they are leaving like air or train tickets in order to have free Covid-19 tests, which aim to limit the risk of spreading the virus to other localities, the office said.
Hoi An authorities also required foreign visitors who test negative for the virus to isolate themselves and avoid infection risks before leaving the town.
Hoi An, an UNESCO heritage site and a popular tourist destination in Quang Nam Province, was among several localities where strict social distancing restrictions have been imposed since July 31.
All residents are required to stay home except for special cases and maintain a distance of at least two meters from each other in public. Public gatherings of more than two people are prohibited, except at offices, schools and hospitals.
Quang Nam is now the country’s second largest Covid-19 hotspot, after its neighbor Da Nang.
Vietnam has recorded 993 Covid-19 cases so far, 458 active. Its Covid-19 death toll stands at 25, with all patients suffering various comorbidities.